93: Humor Branding: It’s Not Just For Funny People
On this podcast we’ve talked about disagreement. We’ve talked about fear. And we’ve talked about overwhelm. But today’s Election Day and I think we all deserve something a bit more lighthearted, no?
I’m joined by Allie LeFevere and Lyndsay Rush, co-founders of the humor branding agency, Obedient.
We spend our time chatting about:
- How best friends run an agency without killing each other,
- Why many leaders fear humor tactics,
- What humor looks like — beyond snarkiness and dirty jokes,
- How Obedient weaves humor across their entire customer experience, and
- Why being polarizing is a good thing.
MEET ALLIE + LYNDSAY
Allie LeFevere and Lyndsay Rush are the co-founders of Obedient, a humor branding agency—the first of its kind—that turns businesses into unstoppable, unorthodox, unforgettable machines. Ever met a creative agency with a hip tattoo that reads, ‘standing out isn’t a matter of taste, it’s a matter of survival’ ? Well, you have now. Rooted in the power of fun and the potency of humor, Obedient launches brands and campaigns that hook consumers in…and keep them coming back for more. And yeah, dog, they do it all: strategy, messaging, and design—online, offline, crossing the line, you name it. Speaking of names, they’d never name-drop that they’ve worked with heavy hitters like The Dallas Cowboys, Argent, Parachute, and Alleyoop. At the end of the day, every evil genius on the Obedient team lives to prove that you don’t need to prey on the fears of your consumers to make the kill. Instead? Excite them to death. RIP, your sad sales and long live fun.
- It’s good to be polarizing. If you have the right strategy, turning people away is a value-add.
- It doesn’t matter if you think it’s funny. It matters if your audience will.
- Fear, grief, and laughter all release endorphins in your brain.
- Humor is the truth having fun.
- It takes bad ideas for good ideas.
“When we say humor, at the core it’s surprise.” – Lyndsay Rush
“Humor means a lot of different things. It can be everything from clever and witty to punchy and bold to nuanced and tongue in cheek.” – Allie LeFevere
‘It’s such a give to make people feel safe and smile and heard and seen.” – Lyndsay Rush
“With a personal brand you really can’t fake it or force it.” – Allie LeFevere
FOLLOW + CONNECT